- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place 1/3 cup flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add lamb, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in batches in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return lamb to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in peas; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Add seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Combine remaining flour with water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forFavorite Irish Stew
"Omg! The Best stew ever...although, I personally placed it in a slow cooker + the frozen peas + turned it off an hour before serving and my spouse added 1 cup of sour cream 2 thicken it up abit...delish!"
"I loved this stew, i worked diligently to get this perfect. I added a box of white mushrooms. it was SUPER DELICIOUS!!! but then i added the flour paste thickner at the end and it ruined the dish. i should of known better. The flour paste at the end is to thicken if its needed, otherwise the dish can do without and since i followed the 4 cup broth direction and added extra mushroom, it was delicious. SO DONT ADD FLOUR PASTE AT END IF YOU DONT NEED TO, its just a thickner"
"Very tasty Irish stew! We added some spinach which makes it even better and greener!"
"I tried making lamb stew for St. Patrick's Day a few years ago and didn't like the result. The stew was too rich for my taste. But I thought I'd try again with this recipe and boy am I glad I did! It was pretty easy and very flavorful. The stew had just the right consistency and tasted wonderful with homemade soda bread. I would like to try to make this in my slow cooker, only because I'm not fond of having to stand over the stovetop when I make stew! I will definitely make this again!"
"Hearty and quite tasty. Even my toddler enjoyed the beef and peas. I'd make it again!"
"The Worcestershire and Thyme give it such a great flavor. Makes a great chicken stew too!"
"Excellent recipe we all loved it. Can't wait to make it again - cheers!"