When my daughter was newly married, one of the recipes she received was this wonderful torte. It looks gorgeous decorated with shaved dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. —Elizabeth Cziszler, Calgary, Alberta
Recommended: 29 Totally Indulgent Mocha Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons strong hot brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Shaved dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Place eggs and sugar in a blender; cover and process until frothy. Add hazelnuts, flour and baking powder; cover and process 1 minute or until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack; carefully remove pan bottom and paper. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Using a long serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Decorate as desired with shaved chocolate and hazelnuts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Favorite Hazelnut-Mocha Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p130