Favorite Hamburger Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
Makesabout 5 batches (15 cups total)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 165 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
can you reduce the sodium content?
Jan 13, 2018
I love how good and easy this Is. It also freezes well. The only thing I added was an Envelope of onion soup mix. It really enhanced the flavor.
Oct 23, 2017
Very good comfort food! Next time, though, I will add more potatoes. It makes a lot so we planned on freezing some of the leftovers but we ate it all up before that happened. Even my 16 month old grandson loved it.
Oct 13, 2017
My kids are picky eaters and they love it :-)I will make it again.
Feb 21, 2017
This is very good! I'll make again!
Jan 10, 2017
I made this because I had the ingredients on hand and because it looked quick and easy to throw together. I didn't expect 5-star taste--was I wrong! This is delicious comfort food. It was very tasty as made according to directions; I had about half a serving as a taste test and had to go back for another full serving. I would love to see how a few substitutions as suggested by other reviewers might change the dish. Beef broth instead of water should give a richer flavor and V-8 would give it a little extra kick as would a bit of garlic. It also is a dish that is very healthy for diabetics and anyone who is carb conscious. Whether made as is or enhanced with other ingredients, this recipe is a keeper for my files!!
Dec 4, 2016
wow, my mom used to make this all the time! but w/o the rice. and she rolled the ground beef in little meatballs and called it meatball soup!
Oct 6, 2016
We loved this stew but did add some garlic and beef broth to it. It was delicious
Sep 27, 2016
DH made this stew. He made one change in that he used bear meat instead of beef. It is a definite keeper recipe. It's hearty and filling. When he makes soup, chili, or stew he adds some beer or wine replacing some of the liquid. In this case, he used 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vermouth instead of the 1 cup of water called for. Will make this recipe again!
Sep 19, 2016
Tried this stew this evening and it was great. Just added a cup of water. Will make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.