Favorite French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 6 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar, thyme, herbes de provence, salt and pepper in oil; cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add sherry and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is golden.
Editor's NoteLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 1 slice bread and 1/3 cup cheese: 309 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1065mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 5, 2015
This is more authentic than most other recipes for French Onion soup. I just used all sweet onions instead of 3 different types, so no sugar was needed. I also used half good quality butter and half olive oil. Used 1 1/22 teaspoons fresh thyme and 1 tsp. herbes de Provence.Thanks for this recipe!
Jan 13, 2013
Way too sweet. Plus the tablespoon of thyme made for an overpowering flavor. I had to add 2 bouillon cubes to try to cut down on sweetness. Would not make again.