- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 6 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar, thyme, herbes de provence, salt and pepper in oil; cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add sherry and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is golden. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFavorite French Onion Soup
"This is more authentic than most other recipes for French Onion soup. I just used all sweet onions instead of 3 different types, so no sugar was needed. I also used half good quality butter and half olive oil. Used 1 1/22 teaspoons fresh thyme and 1 tsp. herbes de Provence.Thanks for this recipe!"
"Way too sweet. Plus the tablespoon of thyme made for an overpowering flavor. I had to add 2 bouillon cubes to try to cut down on sweetness. Would not make again."