Favorite Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the broth, cauliflower, onion and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Cool slightly. In a blender, process cauliflower mixture until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In the same saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cauliflower mixture and cheese. Heat through (do not boil).
1 cup: 223 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 3, 2015
really yummy. Added quite a few dashes of Franks Hot Sauce and it took the already delicious soup to another level of flavor. !
Dec 31, 1969
EXCELLENT recipe! I doubled the recipe, added about one cup chopped celery and also carrots, substituted rosemary and some parsley for thyme and used Sargento Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar Cheese for the fontina. So good this is not only a "keeper" recipe, but I emailed it to several friends. Hot French Baguette and tomato slices sprinkled with celery salt hit the spot on a 20 degree winter day. Thank you so very much!
Carol Herman in Milwaukee, WI
Jan 22, 2012
Delicious! Will make again and again and again.
I didn't have fontina cheese but used parmesan and the substitution worked out well.
Nov 12, 2011
I made this soup an it was very good. I did not have any cheese so I made it with out the cheese. I crumbed some bacon on top of it. I will be making it again. you must try it!!!!