Favorite Cranberry Nut Bars
Each fall when cranberries are harvested, I buy many bags and put them in the freezer. That way I can enjoy these delicious berries all year long. This dessert is a favorite at potluck suppers.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, extracts and salt. Add butter. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in cranberries and nuts. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 121 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Nut Bars in Country Extra January 2001