Favorite Cornmeal Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sugar, butter and salt. Remove from the heat; cool to 110°-115°.
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cornmeal mixture, eggs and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 15 pieces. Shape each piece into a roll. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2019
Ok, I have the original recipe and finally just made it after all these years. I don’t know if it’s a MISPRINT or if the recipe really thinks it needs 2 TABLESPOONS of yeast. I saw that yesterday, but like a dumbo thought, well, that’s what it calls for. NO NO NO. While the rolls looked beautiful, they smelled horribly of yeast. I couldn’t even eat them. What a turn off and a waste. My fault. I should’ve used my own better judgement. I only came on here to search if over the years they corrected the yeast amount. Nope. You have to do it your own self.