Favorite Cornish Pasties Recipe
- 1 pound boneless top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine round steak, potatoes, carrots, onion, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside. For pastry, combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms pea-size crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Do not overmix. Divide dough into fourths. Roll out one portion into a 9-in. circle; transfer to a greased baking sheet. Mound about 1-1/4 cups of meat filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over mixture and press edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cut slits in top of each pasty. Brush with beaten egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 1129 calories, 64g fat (20g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1349mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Cornish Pasties
"It was okay. Using top round instead of chuck made the meat tough to chew and using pie crust instead of a real short crust recipe, didn't help. I grew up on REAL Cornish Pastie (my grandmother was from Cornwall) and this didn't taste anything like her's. The good part was I could put it together quickly and it didn't make as much mess."
"One of the first out of TOH and still a favorite!"
"Well I tell everyone this was excellent. This was a great meal. easy to make when you use any pre-made dough. Thank-You for the recipe!"
"As a short cut for the pastry, I used Pillsbury's pie crust (found in dairy section)"