Favorite Cornbread Salad
This salad is so tasty it brings everyone back asking for seconds. Serve it with roast chicken and vegetables to round out a satisfying meal.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle juice
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg and milk; mix well. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; cut into cubes and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, green pepper, onion, bacon and pickles; toss gently. Combine the mayonnaise and pickle juice; mix well. Layer half of the cornbread, tomato mixture and mayonnaise mixture in a large glass bowl; repeat layers. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 25g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cornbread Salad in Country Woman January/February 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.