- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 30 red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in coconut.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Top each with a candied cherry half if desired. Bake at 325° for 20-23 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forFavorite Coconut Macaroons
"I didn't use the candied cherries. Good thing as these cookies are SWEET! If I make them again, I will cut back the sugar significantly. They were also quite crumbly."