Favorite Church Supper Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) hot chili beans, undrained
- In a large Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, celery and onion; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the spices, tomatoes and juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add beans and simmer 20 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 139 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Sep 29, 2016
Very good! I halved the recipe since I was making it for my family. I added a little more chili powder and some hot sauce .
Feb 22, 2013
The best chili I have had in yesrs. It was served over elbow macaroni. Can't wait to make for my family.
Mar 10, 2011
This is my go to recipe for chili. Everyone loves it, I can change it up how I want depending on if I'm in the mood for more or less spicy. I also add whole wheat noodles and use ground turkey at times to change the nutritional value. But it tastes AMAZING and is very healthy! Doesn't get better than that. Not to mention very simple to put together. Love it!
Jan 12, 2010
I make this for events at our church often - it tastes great & goes together easily. Definitely a "keeper recipe" :)
Jan 1, 2010
Very easy to make. It taste great and is done in no time. My family loved it! It's a keeper.
Mar 4, 2009
This is a good recipe; not too hot and not too bland. I liked the idea of the tomato and V8 juices.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.