- 7 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, combine the bread cubes and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Christmas Breakfast Casserole
"It was pretty good. My kids loved it though. I changed it slightly. I fried a little link sausage a little and omitted the bacon. Instead of salt and pepper I used Tony's Cajun seasoning. Also added diced canned jalapeno peppers to taste with the sausage on top. Next time I will add chopped onion, minced garlic with the sausage when I fry it. Maybe green pepper too."
"I enjoyed this recipe. I will definitely be making this again. Thank You."
"Made this for Christmas brunch and my family loved it, myself included, and I am not the biggest fan of eggs. This is definitely going to be repeated."
"I made this for Christmas morning. Great that I was able to assemble this the night before. Baked it the next morning. It was great! Light and fluffy and delicious!"
"I've been making this for years. Our family version is called "morning after casserole". My family asks for it often. I've even played with the ingredients and used different meats and/or cheeses. It's awesome for a morning when you've had guests spend the night. I've even taken it to a pot luck! Rave reviews every time. This is a can't miss recipe!"
"Very good...light and airy. I would love to try it with homemade bread sometime as another poster suggested."