Favorite Chocolate Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring cocoa and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake and spread quickly. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 638 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (70g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 21, 2010
This recipe didn't work out to well for me. There was way too much mix to fit into one 15 x 10 x 1 pan. Let's just say this turned into a huge mess! If you attempt to make this and also find out that there seems to be too much mix, I would reccomend using a regular 13 x 9. I'm interested to see how it turns out for other people!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.