This cake is so rich, you'd never guess it was lower in fat and sugar than other desserts. The smooth peanut butter layers and fudgy topping make it a hit with my family. —Crystal Christopher of Hustonville, Kentucky
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- CREAMY PEANUT FILLING:
- 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold fat-free milk, divided
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in water. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1-3/4 cups milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a small saucepan over low heat, stir peanut butter and remaining milk until smooth. Fold into pudding.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread half of filling over cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling. Chill for 1 hour or until serving.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Cool until spreadable. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Peanut Torte in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p33
Reviews forFavorite Chocolate Peanut Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review