I received this recipe from a friend and have modified it to suit my family's tastes. Our three children especially like this slightly sweet chili because it's not too spicy.
Recommended: 17 Chili Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Shredded cheddar cheese and additional chopped onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef in oil; drain. Add the onion, green peppers and garlic; cook until tender.
- Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add beans and cornmeal; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Garnish with cheese and onion if desired. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Favorite Chili in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p13