Favorite Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
Makes2 potpies (8 servings each)
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pie crust into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining crusts; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pies on baking sheets; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 70-80 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 475 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 768mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 23, 2019
Had no issue with flour as others have had. It was the perfect consistency. Very tasty! Teenage daughter said it was "the bomb"......The prep work took a lot longer than 40 min as recipe stated.
Nov 20, 2019
This was very good...I cut back some on flour.
Nov 17, 2019
I only used 1/3 cup of flour the second time I made this. It was delicious both times, but we like the filling a bit thinner. It’s definitely a new favorite in our house.
Oct 22, 2019
Made this last night, was the best! Didn't have thyme so used basil and it was perfect :)
Oct 9, 2019
What kind of potatoes
Jul 18, 2019
Really satisfied my craving for chicken pot pie and is easy to make.
Jul 13, 2019
The best!!! I make my own crust and that is the only change I make.
Jun 19, 2019
My husband said this potpie was the best I've ever made. I added celery with the onions, and boiled carrots and potatoes in chicken broth then used the broth to make the sauce. Topped with tater tots, instead of crust.
Jun 16, 2019
Halved recipe; added 1/4 tsp. of Bell’s Poultry Seasoning and used Tater Tots instead of pie crust. It’s in the oven now and it smells really good - we can’t wait to eat it .
May 17, 2019
Best potpie I've ever had. Hands down. Subs I've made in the past include using rabbit in place of chicken and subbing cauliflower in for the potatoes. I'll be making this one for a long time.