Favorite Chicken Enchiladas
We added another layer of flavor to this dish originally submitted by Rebekah Sabo of Rochester, New York. The spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar complements the spices already in the recipe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with chili powder. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Sprinkle with flour, coriander and spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the corn, onions, chilies and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Spread 2/3 cup filling down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the salsa, tomato sauce and remaining cilantro; pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 306 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Enchiladas in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.