Favorite Beef Chimichangas
Feeding a hungry crowd? Turn to these mouthwatering chimichangas, which feature slow-roasted beef and melted cheese inside a crispy tortilla. Everyone will want the recipe!
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt with parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 16 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Optional toppings: guacamole, salsa or sour cream
- Cut roast in half; place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Arrange potatoes around the roast; pour water over potatoes. Drizzle meat with soy sauce. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Top with green chilies. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove roast to a platter. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Combine flour and taco seasoning; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until juices are thickened.
- To assemble chimichangas, using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture off-center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and roll up.
- In a large skillet, fry chimichangas, folded side down, in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with toppings if desired.