- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut into 8 pieces each
- Salt and pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Grill skin side down, uncovered, on a greased grill rack over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, make barbecue sauce by heating oil over medium heat. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; brush with barbecue sauce. Grill 15-25 minutes longer, brushing frequently with sauce, until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in the breast and 170°-175° in the thigh. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Barbecued Chicken
"This is a really great mild barbecue sauce - very family-friendly and perfect for grilled chicken!"
"This was very good and easy to make! My favorite part about this recipe is that it is made with ingredients that I have on hand. The sauce is a little on the sweet side but has a good tang to it. For my taste, I would add a little more salt. The only change I made was using less onion because my husband doesn't like a ton of onion flavor."
"Very good! Made this for supper on our charcoal grill! My sauce got a little to thick, but that was an easy fix by adding a tiny bit of water to loosen it up, and it was very tasty!"
"I made exactly as directed, and we enjoyed this barbecued chicken."
"I used sesame seed oil and it added just a little extra taste to this already delicious bbq sauce."