Favorite Baked Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, optional
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 526 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Nov 12, 2019
Made this last night for my boyfriend , followed the recipe exactly as it was , and we both loved it ! Will definitely make again !
Oct 30, 2019
Made this last night and my husband and I agreed. This is the most bland dish I've ever made or tasted. Waste of ingredients.
Oct 17, 2019
Yum yum yum! Add a bit more spaghetti sauce and this is excellent!!!
Sep 23, 2019
Made this for a family gathering. Everyone liked it alot. I DID THE RECIPE AS WRITTEN EXCEPT I added Italian style diced tomato toes and xtra half jar of sauce. Will make this again.
Aug 24, 2019
Very good recipe. I did add extra half jar of sauce plus about a half cup of pasta water. I also, sauteed three cloves of fresh garlic with onion and meat and it tasted great.
Aug 6, 2019
Made for dinner this eve: quick, filling, good! Next time I'll keep covered whole baking time as I discovered I don't care for crunchy pasta. Phyllis, why on earth be so nasty? That is not only an unnecessarily ugly tone of voice (screaming) but the words are confusing. No where does the poster - or ToH - use the word Italy in this writeup. While it does use ingredients that are typically seen as "Italian" they are now so ubiquitous that many of these ingredients are used in things decidedly not Italian. And with Italian food, as with ALL foods, there are a thousand ways of making the same dish - it's the joy of cooking, being able to put your own stamp on it. Lighten up, lady!
Jul 24, 2019
Jul 18, 2019
I have made this a few times now and it is really good. My boyfriend HATES cottage cheese to the point it gives him the dry heaves. The first time I made it I had to hide the cottage cheese container and make it when he wasn't in the room. He ate it and loved it - HA! Then I told him it had cottage cheese in it. He still likes it. As others have commented, it does make a lot - enough for two pans. I do add a little extra sauce so it isn't as dry and when I have leftovers I will add some sauce on the top since it can dry out a little in the refrigerator.
Jul 17, 2019
I made this in the morning and kept it in the fridge to bake in the evening. Excellent! I assume it would freeze well, unbaked. You really need a deep pan for this. Next time I’ll use 2 jars of sauce because it really gets soaked up fast! Thanks for the recipe!
Jul 17, 2019
I'd like to make this for a girls' weekend - can it be frozen and then thawed? thanks