- 4 large baking potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Baked Potato Soup
"This is one o boy's favorite soups!!"
"I made it as directed and if you love pure potato soup taste, I think it's great. I used pink Himalaya salt, so I had to add more regular salt. I will try other additions when I make it again if I want more zip and zest. I would have loved to use California Baker Potatoes, but I can only get those when we're in North Carolina for the summer. They are the best tasting potato I have ever had. I don't see them in Florida and wonder where I can get them."
"With the dairy and potatoes, this is probably not a good recipe to freeze."
"Can this be frozen ahead of time???"
"Love this recipe!!!! I made very little changes. I did add more potatoes than it called for as well as used Old cheddar cheese(and lots of it ) for that sharp cheddar flavor. I believe that any recipe is a starting block and we add to it or take away things to make it our own. This recipe need very little adjustment to make my family beg for seconds! And with 5 kids to please, when they all want more, i know I have hit the jackpot with this one!"
"This recipe is a good start but is really quite bland. I added more salt and pepper, 1 can of chicken broth, 1/4 c chopped onion, and about 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese. So many people gave this a 5 star rating but go on to tell about all the extra ingredients they added. That's not really an accurate rating of the original recipe."
"This recipe is flawless! I have shared it so many times!"
"Thoroughly impressed with this recipe. Winter in Wisconsin is starting to get cold & the smell of potatoes baking the oven just stimulates the salivary sense of what's to come. I didn't add as much sour cream as indicated & split the milk called for with 1/2 & 1/2 and milk. I also added chopped ham I had in the freezer in addition to the bacon. Chopped yellow onions & celery plus a couple drops of hot sauce is what I say "nailed it"!"
"Really easy and very good. I even had enough to share at work."
"I have made this and it is totally delicious. Thank you for the recipe."