- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- Additional milk
- In a saucepan, combine water, sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk. Divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. square. Place an apple on each. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar; dot with remaining butter. Bring corners of pastry to center. Brush edges with milk; pinch edges to seal. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; drizzle with reserved syrup. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Apple Dumplings
"This was an amazing dessert! Wanted something simple and tasty with few ingredients, i made 1 and a half portion size and cooked for a lot longer, also warmed before serving, was a little difficult to dish up because i think i rolled the pastry too thin, but got rave reviews! I have been instructed that this should be a staple in future, thanks for the awesome recipe!"
"I made these tonight using gala apples. I followed the recipe to a T (it even works well with skim milk). I reviewed several recipes prior to making this dessert when I stumbled across this same recipe word for word in a amish cook book published in 2012. I was very surprised since I see this recipe is from 1999 so am a little disappointed in my amish cook book I purchased last fall in amish country. Needless to say this recipe is a winner! The dough is very easy to work with and the dessert makes your entire house smell like cinnamon heaven. The texture of the dough is light and fluffy almost like a cross between a biscuit and a buttery pie crust."
"My husband has been trying to get me to make apple dumplings for months and I finally did today. These are so easy and tasted fantastic. I was so pleased with the flavor and how simple these were to put together, all that was missing was the ice cream!"
"These are Exactly what I have been searching for! I tweaked it a bit as far as ingredients, i.e. less sugar and more cinnamon. My Aunt used to make these for us when I was little and I have tried to duplicate her recipe, to no avail on the perfect taste! However, these DID IT! Thanks so much for sharing...."
"Delicious! Tastes great with the addition of a little bit of rhubarb in it as well!"
"These are delicious! The syrup seems thin, but during the baking process it's transformed into a delicious thick sauce. The pastry is so tender and good! I wouldn't change a thing, and I'll keep the recipe with those that are my stand-bys."