Fat Rascals (Potato Cheese Puffs)
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 24 puffs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded American or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Combine the cheese, mashed potatoes, eggs and milk, add to dry ingredients.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Dec 26, 2011
Very popular when we made them. People were immediately asking for the recipe. It is time consuming to fry so many rascals.
Oct 9, 2011
I used instant potatoes made with all milk and doubled the receipe except for the eggs and milk. Used a cookie scoop and put on wax paper covered tray and froze for several hours before deep frying. The family really enjoyed them. I also made a dipping sauce of sour cream with ranch dressing mixed in to taste as I am not a big fan of ranch dressing. Plan on making again and freezing them in a air tight container for use at a later date, then I can just drop them in the deep fryer.
Oct 20, 2010
Tried this last night and the family loved it. Used 1/4c milk as the potatoes were pretty creamy to begin with. Used about an inch of oil in the fry pan and turned them when brown. Will definitely make again.
Jun 1, 2009
Our mashed potatoes had been made with milk and butter, so we needed to double the flour to get the right consistancy for the dough.Turned out tasting good, but we're not sure if they are worth standing over the deep-fryer for.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.