Fast Pepper Steak
This speedy steak recipe comes from my mom's files. It's always been a favorite.—Nicky Hurt, APO, England
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown steak in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-16 minutes or until broth is reduced by half.
- Add peppers. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 411 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Originally published as Pepper Steak in Country Woman July/August 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.