- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or dried chives
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter until tender. Add milk, potatoes, salt and celery salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Garnish with chives. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews forFast Mashed Potato Soup
"This was my favorite recipe in a book I got back in junior high. I'd lost the book in a move years back and have been looking for it ever since. Thanks Taste of Home for reuniting us. ;)"
"I actually made this recipe with instant mashed potatoes and dried minced onion. I added a handful of mixed frozen veggies and some leftover bacon, crumbled. So easy ad a really yummy recipe."
"Excellent use for leftover mashed potatoes! And, I always have all the other ingredients on hand. Don't let its looks fool you while it's cooking. It looked really thin, and I was afraid it was going to taste like warm milk, but it was delicious. I made it with leftover scallion mashed potatoes, put croutons on top, and served it with a salad. It was the perfect cool weather weekend lunch."