Fast Marinated Vegetables
I was know only as an average cook before I first made this lip-smacking salad! — Mrs. Earl Anderson, Jr., Stockton, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch thin strips
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut widthwise into quarters
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in a large steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place basket in ice water for 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are cooled; drain well.
- Place the vegetables in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the tomatoes, corn and olives. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, sherry or broth, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Turn bag to coat; pour salad into a serving bowl. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 180 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Aunt Tillie's Marinated Veggies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.