Fast Mandarin Almond Salad
I made this salad for a luncheon with friends, and it was a hit! By chance, I happened to have an 8-lb. box of mandarin oranges that needed to be used.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained or 4 mandarin oranges, sectioned
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Dash pepper
- In a small skillet, heat the almonds and sugar over low. Cook and stir until almonds are glazed. Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients; set aside. Just before serving, toss the lettuce, onion and oranges with the dressing and almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 316 calories, 20g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mandarin Almond Salad in Country Extra July 1991