Fast Mandarin Almond Salad
I made this salad for a luncheon with friends, and it was a hit! By chance, I happened to have an 8-lb. box of mandarin oranges that needed to be used.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained or 4 mandarin oranges, sectioned
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Dash pepper
- In a small skillet, heat the almonds and sugar over low. Cook and stir until almonds are glazed. Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients; set aside. Just before serving, toss the lettuce, onion and oranges with the dressing and almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 316 calories, 20g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mandarin Almond Salad in Country Extra July 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.