I made this salad for a luncheon with friends, and it was a hit! By chance, I happened to have an 8-lb. box of mandarin oranges that needed to be used.
Recommended: 30 Satisfying Protein-Packed Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained or 4 mandarin oranges, sectioned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a small skillet, heat the almonds and sugar over low. Cook and stir constantly until almonds are coated with a sugar glaze. Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients and set aside. Just before serving, toss lettuce, onion and oranges with the dressing and almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mandarin Almond Salad in Country Extra July 1991, p47
Reviews forFast Mandarin Almond Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 14, 2012
"Very good! I would put the almonds on wax paper to cool."