Fast Luscious Lemon Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon zest. Gently stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature. Fold in sour cream and whipped cream. Pour into pastry shell. Chill for at least 1 hour before cutting.
1 slice: 490 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 235mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 14, 2013
This pie lives up to its name: luscious! My mother first spotted this recipe in TOH over 10 years ago, and it has been a favorite ever since. Her spin: Instead of using a regular pie shell, she made a hard meringue shell using the egg whites that are left over from the recipe. Try it!
Nov 20, 2010This is our very favorite pie. I make it every year for Thanksgiving at least. Usually I make 2 pies so that we will have plenty left over to enjoy for a few days. I make it just as the recipe states but I have learned that whipping the cream quite stiff helps the pie set up better.
Nov 13, 2010
I'm not a lemon fan, but this was out of this world! I made this for my shop and everyone loved it! It's now my dad's favorite pie! It seems weird, but it works out in the end and yum, yum!