Fast Layered Chicken Salad
I prepare this satisfying salad Saturday evening and serve it to my husband and sons on Sunday after a round of gold. It's a winner on warm days - with a unique mix of vegetables like bean sprouts, green onions, water chestnuts and pea pods. And it's lovely in a glass bowl. -Joanne Trentadue, Racine, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 to 5 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 pound fresh pea pods, halved
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh parsley sprigs, optional
- Place lettuce in bottom of a 4-quart glass salad bowl. Layer with cucumber, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, onions, pea pods and chicken. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, curry and ginger. Spread over top of salad. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley if desired. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 476 calories, 40g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Layered Chicken Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.