Fast Italian Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch escarole, trimmed and torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cannellini beans, green beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add escarole; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 339 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2009
Very good, hearty meal. I used a 14oz. can of turnkey broth instead of 1 cup of vegetable broth and it was still very thick. I also tossed in some mushrooms because I love them. Some crusty bread warmed in the oven and it's a very complete and satisfying meal.