This twist on the typical tossed salad combines garden-fresh veggies with bread cubes and herbs...and is terrific when tomatoes are at their peak. "I first tasted this salad when I worked for a caterer. I experimented with different combinations until I came up with this version," says Kathleen Hufstedler of Kerrville, Texas.
Recommended: 25 Starbucks Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cubed fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cubed French or sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the tomato, basil, green onion, oil, vinegar and salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Place bread cubes in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato mixture. Add parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Bread Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p13