Fast Hot Turkey Sandwiches
Twice a week for 20 years, I've prepared meals for our church community. This delicious down-home turkey sandwiches are always on the menu.—Mollie Flack, Cooper Center, Alaska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 quarts turkey or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 40 large slices roast turkey breast (about 6-1/2 pounds cooked turkey)
- 40 slices bread
- 7 quarts hot mashed potatoes (about 45 medium potatoes)
- In a large kettle, bring broth and seasonings to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water; gradually add to boiling broth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add cream and browning sauce. Place each slice of turkey on a slice of bread; top with a spoonful of mashed potatoes. Cover with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 686 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 3078mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 52g protein.
Originally published as Hot Turkey Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 1996