- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 4-1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour and dressing mix until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, ham and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forFarmhouse Ham Chowder
"Very tasty! The addition of the smoked gouda really made this dish so flavorful!"
"This is a great way to use up leftover ham. Serve this with a nice, crusty bread for a fast and delicious meal."
"This recipe is easy and delicious, will definitely make it again and the grands loved it!"
"This is defiantly a comfort food! we sat around the fire place and talked of child hood memories.Chowder,home made bread and the fire place ablaze with family ...another good memory:)"
"I love this recipe and make it all the time! I love to make a double batch ahead of time when its cold and we go camping. It also freezes very well so its easy to send to friends and family when they are feeling a little under the weather! Definitely recommend trying this recipe!"