Farmhouse Chili Dogs
We host lots of hay rides, picnics, hot dog roasts and ice cream socials on our farm, and these chili dogs never fail to please. There’s always someone who fills a paper cup with the sauce and eats it straight.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, water, ketchup, sugar and chili powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns; top with meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 404 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1036mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Hot Dog Sauce in Country June/July 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.