Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and chicken from broth; set vegetables aside. Skin, bone and cube the chicken. Strain broth, reserving 3 cups.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until thickened and bubbly. Gradually stir in reserved broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits.
Dec 29, 2013
I loved this recipe, only thing I did different was substituting half the water for chicken broth, I added the water & broth in a large measuring cup and mixed in about 1T poultry seasoning, half a packet of Sazón by Goya (its in the Hispanic food section of most grocers and is wonderful with chicken recipes!), and a dash of sage. Mixed well and poured over the chicken and veggies in the dutch oven.
Sep 14, 2013
Dec 4, 2011
Delicious!!! We also served over rice and I used broth to cook the chicken.
Nov 11, 2009
I have made this several times - excellent recipe.