- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove vegetables and chicken from broth; set vegetables aside, and skin, bone and cube the chicken. Strain and reserved 3 cups of the broth. In a large saucepan, melt butter; add flour and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Gradually stir in the reserved broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forFarmhouse Chicken and Biscuits
"I loved this recipe, only thing I did different was substituting half the water for chicken broth, I added the water & broth in a large measuring cup and mixed in about 1T poultry seasoning, half a packet of Sazón by Goya (its in the Hispanic food section of most grocers and is wonderful with chicken recipes!), and a dash of sage. Mixed well and poured over the chicken and veggies in the dutch oven."
"Delicious!!! We also served over rice and I used broth to cook the chicken."
"I have made this several times - excellent recipe."