VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, oil, honey, oats, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt and 2 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Farmhouse Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p116