- 4 Italian sausage links, casings removed, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, squash, peppers, salad dressing mix, garlic powder and fennel seed. Cook and stir for 10 minutes; drain. cool for 10 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Fill with the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFarmer's Market Sausage Pie
"We've been making this recipe for years. It's delicious! I use Italian salad dressing (liquid) instead of the dry mix. Be sure to use the fennel-- it adds to the flavor! Awesome recipe. Thank you for sharing it."
"I have made this pot pie 3 times in the last month since I found the recipe! So good and satisfying and not difficult to make! I used bulk sausage pulled into pieces because that is what had the first time, and worked out great!"
"This was absolutely yummy! My husband and I loved it. Uses up what's in the garden and yet I know I will make it this winter."
"I added more Vegis and used a bigger pan. This was great. I also used sweet Italian turkey sausage."
"Very good recipe. I used sweet Italian sausage and 1/4 t. fennel."