Farm-Style Sausage Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- Dash each pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rubbed sage
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl; mash potatoes. Beat in milk, butter, green onions, garlic, egg yolks, pepper and nutmeg until light and fluffy.
- Stir in sausage, cheeses and parsley. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 471 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 984mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 7, 2017
Good, but nothing special. Just mashed potatoes with sausage mixed in.
Sep 28, 2014
This is a great tasting dish and I made it just as the recipe reads
Feb 15, 2013
I have made this casserole enough times to write a review and highly recommend it! It's easy, quick and tasty. I have made it for potluck get-togethers, as well as a last minute dinner option with high regards. Once I panicked when I thought I'd lost this recipe. It's definitely one I want to keep a hard copy of for future use!
Oct 22, 2011
Excellent! My kids are picky eaters and my entire family loved it and asked to eat it again!
Jan 23, 2011
I let my boyfriend pick recipies that he would like for me to cook for him. At first I was doubtful about this one. But the flavors are great and I was forced to admit I was wrong. This is very easy, packed with flavor, and works great with Turkey sausage if you are looking to cut the calories.