Farm Friend Cupcakes
These chick and pig cupcakes just can't get more adorable. Young children especially are taken with them! —Colleen Palmer, Epping, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Pink and yellow paste food coloring
- M&M's miniature baking bits
- Assorted candies (Brach's white dessert mints, pink mint candy lozenges and Good & Plenty candies)
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- For pigs, tint 1 can of frosting pink; frost 12 cupcakes. Attach baking bits and dessert mints for eyes, pink candy lozenges for snouts, baking bits for nostrils and Good & Plenty candies for ears.
- For chicks, tint 2-1/2 cups frosting yellow; transfer to a pastry bag. Insert #17 star tip; pipe frosting onto 11 cupcakes. Pipe on feathers. Attach baking bits and dessert mints for eyes and candy corn for beaks.
Editor's NoteUse of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change pastry tips for different designs.
Originally published as Barnyard Cupcakes in Kid Approved Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.