Far North Wild Rice Casserole
I find wild rice a very versatile ingredient to cook with. In this side dish, the rich flavor of this hearty grain combines beautifully with vegetables and bacon.—Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook onion, green pepper, celery and bacon until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes; drain. Add the rice, peas if desired, soy sauce and pepper. Cook and stir gently over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 133 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Far North Wild Rice Casserole in Taste of Home December/January 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.