Ever wish strawberries could always be in season? My homemade variety is ripe and ready for "picking" year-round. These sweet confections are real conversation starters. Plus, they tell my guests how special they are to me!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green colored sugar
- Slivered almonds
- Green liquid food coloring
- In a small bowl, beat the gelatin powder and milk until smooth. Add pecans, coconut and vanilla; mix just until combined. Shape into strawberries.
- Roll sides of strawberries in red sugar and dip tops into green sugar. Tint almonds with green food coloring; insert an almond into the top of each strawberry for stem. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 87 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Fantasy Strawberries in Country Woman July/August 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.