Fancy Sugar Cookies
These pretty lattice-topped cookies are ideal for decorating with colored sugar. Placed on a cookie tray, they make a stunning addition to any dessert table.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 8 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
- COLORED SUGAR CRYSTALS:
- 2 tablespoons Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 to 2 drops food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a powdered sugar covered surface, roll out half the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased cookie sheets. Roll out remaining dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut dough into lattice-style strips. Criss-cross strips in a lattice fashion over cutout cookies; lightly pressing ends to cookies. Trim strips as needed. Gather scraps and repeat rolling and cutting dough.
- For colored sugar crystals, combine sugar and food coloring and blend with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over lattice-topped cookies. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Fancy Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home Cooking School Brand Name Cookbook Spring 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.