People compare my version of mac'n'cheese to their grandma's macaroni and cheese...not knowing it starts out with a purchase box mix. Ham and broccoli add flavor and color. It brings raves at our church socials.—Janet Twigg, Campbellford, Ontario
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (7-1/4 ounces each) macaroni and white cheddar or cheddar cheese dinner mix
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Set cheese sauce packet from dinner mix aside. Bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add macaroni; cook for 4 minutes. Add the broccoli, onion and garlic. Cook 3-6 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender; drain.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in cheese sauce mix and milk. Add ham, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in macaroni mixture. Transfer to a greased broiler-proof 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until top is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fancy Mac 'N' Cheese in Country Woman July/August 2001, p39