This recipe is a new twist on an old favorite, using ground chicken or turkey and English muffins instead of the usual sloppy joe fixings.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) sloppy joe sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 8 English muffins, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and green pepper over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the sloppy joe sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in rice; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Spoon 1 cup onto each English muffin.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Fancy Joes in Country June/July 2002