Fancy French Beans
When she's entertaining, June Mullins of Livonia, Missouri often serves this popular side dish. "Water chestnuts, bean sprouts and almonds add crunch," she says. "If you'd like the mixture a little creamier, use only 4 teaspoons of flour."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 cups frozen French-style green beans
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook beans according to package directions. Add bean sprouts and water chestnuts; heat through. Drain well and set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce and bean mixture; toss to coat. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine almonds and cheese; sprinkle over the top. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until almonds are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 190 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Fancy French Beans in Taste of Home August/September 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.