Fancy Cream Cupcakes
These cute, tender cupcakes are creamy and not too sweet. They look fancy but are quick to fix...and even a big platter of these timeless treats disappears in no time. I've been making desserts since I was a youngster, the oldest of several sisters.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper or foil-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat cream in a chilled small bowl until it begins to thicken. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and food coloring if desired until stiff peaks form. Beat in almond extract.
- Cut a 1-in. cone shape from the center of each cupcake; set cone aside. Fill indentation with filling. Cut each cone in half from top to bottom; place two halves on filling for butterfly wings. If desired, pipe a thin strip of filling between wings for butterfly body if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 28, 2016
Hi Meches,You can replace the shortening with canola oil cup for cup.
Jul 27, 2016
Hi,I have a question, can I use canola oil instead of shortening??? how this will affect the recipe?ThnksMercedes