Fancy Chopped Salad
Elaine Sweet of Dallas, Texas teams summer dinners with this Italian-style salad. With its tangy homemade dressing, it offers a terrific flavor that's sure to become a staple in your home.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons Greek olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fennel fronds for garnish, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 98 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Italian Chop Chop Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.